Without fail, I almost always forget to put up an out-of-office autoreply message when I’m headed out for vacation. It’s one of those things I remember just as I’m shutting down, or sometimes even after I’ve already left. (Heh, sorry guys.)
Since I usually throw them up in a hurry, I don’t take a lot of time to get creative. However, I remembered to put up my OOO message early this time around — so I decided to do some Googling for funny messages people have used in the past. Here are some of the gems I found:
1) I am currently out at a job interview and will reply to you if I fail to get the position.
2) You are receiving this automatic notification because I am out of the office. If I was in, chances are you wouldn’t have received anything at all.
Wow, thank you for your honesty.
3) Thank you for your email. Your credit card has been charged $5.99 for the first ten words and $1.99 for each additional word in your message.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
4) I’m not in the office right now but if it’s important, tweet me using #YOUAREINTERRUPTINGMYVACATION.
I’m actually more likely to check email than Twitter on vacation.
5) If you’re reading this, Doc Brown was unable to make lightning strike the clock tower, and I’m stuck in 1985. I won’t be able to respond to emails or voicemail until 9ish on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012, or until email is invented — whatever comes first.
This is the one I’m most bummed I didn’t think of first.
6) I am currently out of the office. I have a cell phone, but I will not be giving the number out. If you can guess the number, however, I will take your call.
I’ve foolishly included my cell in my email signature, so this would really bite me in the you-know-what.
7) Hi. I’m thinking about what you’ve just sent me. Please wait by your PC for my response.
8) I am currently out of the office and probably out-of-my-mind drunk. Enjoy your workweek.
Yikes — please drink responsibly.
9) Or, try a variation on this clever, funny approach from Josh Kopelman, via Gizmodo:
“I am currently out of the office on vacation.
I know I’m supposed to say that I’ll have limited access to email and won’t be able to respond until I return — but that’s not true. My blackberry will be with me and I can respond if I need to. And I recognize that I’ll probably need to interrupt my vacation from time to time to deal with something urgent.
That said, I promised my wife that I am going to try to disconnect, get away and enjoy our vacation as much as possible. So, I’m going to experiment with something new. I’m going to leave the decision in your hands:
- If your email truly is urgent and you need a response while I’m on vacation, please resend it to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll try to respond to it promptly.
- If you think someone else at First Round Capital might be able to help you, feel free to email my assistant, Fiona (email@example.com) and she’ll try to point you in the right direction.
Otherwise, I’ll respond when I return…
Alright, what clever responses have you seen? (And by the way, I decided to just go with your regular, run-of-the-mill OOO message for my vacation over the upcoming the 4th of July weekend … but I did include a GIF of Bruce Springsteen and Courtney Cox dancing in a patriotic shirt.)
Sources: Future Ideas, Forthea Interactive, We Are FINE, HITC